Thursday, February 16, 2017

Jack Frost

Friends, thank you for being so willing to undertake the finishing of my half-blanket for me.  Honestly, that thing, so deceptively innocent there in the workbasket, was weighing on me.  It has been adopted by the lovely Arianne, who I hope won't be put off knitting permanently when she sees the full extent of the ends situation, and it will be on its way to her as soon as I can get to the post office.  The plow truck just thundered ominously past the house again.  I see some of you out there with your daffodils and your garden trowels and I am a little bit overcome with envy, because in New York, we are still in a Deep Freeze.  It's hard to imagine green grass when it's like this for so long, but soon, though.  We will get our turn in the sun.  I mean that's just science, right?  Meanwhile, I finished something, and I want to share it with you.
This is my Jack Frost Wrap, and oh my goodness.  The extreme coziness.  The yarn I used is Woolfolk Far, in Color 02/Lightest Gray.  Far is a worsted weight merino that is so soft it cannot be believed.  It really boggles the mind that something this incredibly soft can be the hair of an animal that lives on a farm somewhere and sleeps in straw and does all the muddy things sheep normally get up to.  Truly, I am gobsmacked.  Now, Woolfolk is not an every day yarn, at least it isn't for me.  It costs a lot, and while I think it is worth every penny, it is not something I can indulge in for every project, so this wrap had to last me awhile, and it had to be worth it in the end.  I tried a couple patterns (okay, I tried SIX patterns...) and they were pretty, but they just weren't worthy enough of this yarn for me, so I made up my own.  
Want to make one too?  Here's the pattern for you:  Using worsted weight yarn and US 8 needles, cast on 81 (or any multiple of 14 + 1 + 10).  Knit two rows.  Next row (RS): K5, pm, work first row of chart, pm, K5.  Next row (WS): K5, sl m, work across second row of chart to marker, sl m, k5.  Keeping first and last 5 sts in garter st, work 20 rows of chart 20 times, or until your yarn runs out, or until the wrap is as long as you want it.  End with chart row 3.  Next 2 rows:  Knit across.  BO Knitwise.  Here's the chart:
Block it when you're done.  Promise me!  This stitch pattern looks like an egg carton until you block it.  Just soak it in the sink for a couple minutes, then roll it in a towel to squeeze out some of the water, and fling it out on the floor.  I didn't pin it out very hard, and I don't have blocking wires, so I just pinned it at the corners and shimmied the sides into an approximation of straightness, which is fine with me.  
This project was such a comfort as I worked on it, so lovely these past few turbulent weeks.  I really loved it.  If Woolfolk Far is out of reach for you (and it is for me, now, too) you can use any soft worsted yarn you like.  I used 6 skeins of Far, which is about 850 yards, and after 20 repeats of the chart, I had only a tiny bit left.  My finished wrap is 78" x 18", which is quite long and fairly wide, and it wraps hugely around me like a squooshy soft hug.  I like a big wrap.  If you want something smaller, you could cast on 67 (wide-ish scarf) or 53 (skinny-ish scarf).  
I hope you'll make one.  There's still plenty of winter left.  
 

20 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful. I saw it on Instagram and had to run right over here and check the pattern out for myself. I think it's something I'll definitely be making before too long. Thank you for your generosity in sharing it with us.

    Our weatherman said the other night that we have had 89 days straight of snow on the ground. Deep snow at that! And it's not going away anytime soon. I see flowers and people planning gardens online and think it's never going to happen here either. Grass? What is that? Ha!
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! It makes me want to go home, put my feet up under a lap blanket and do some serious knitting. The two cats curled up with me and a cup of tea (maybe spiked with something. Mmm.) But Duty calls. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this lovely pattern! I'm just a beginning knitter myself but this is definitely something I'm so excited to learn to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How simply delightful well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just lovely, I think I could even knit it, just need to clarify what "pm" and "sl m" are in your instructions though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "pm" stands for "place marker" and "sl m" stands for "slip marker". :)

      Delete
  6. Truly beautiful wrap and thank you for the pattern. Just a thought on the squares with many threads to weave in. I recently made a baby blanket and had the same issue and i HATE weaving in ends so I sewed it all together and backed the blanket with flannel trapping all the loose ends inside. I did tack the knitted side down to the flannel in several spots like a quilt. Annie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning, such a beautiful pattern and yarn. We have had one of the mildest winters ever, which I am finding a little unnerving, it is almost spring like this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very lovely! I will give it a try! It seems doable for a new knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this! It looks both delicate, and squishy/cozy at the same time. I can see how the FAR would be just perfect for such a wrap. I'm definitely saving this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely dreamy! Love the color - hopefully sometime I can "feel" it in a knit shop, or even better, in person!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh that yarn, you can almost feel the softness just looking at the photograph. And your pattern is lovely. As ever, in total awe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Jack Frost Wrap. It looks cozy. I might give it a try.
    You are very talented. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. well that is rather gorgeous! I have some of my own hand dye aran with no project in view, I think I'll pair it up with your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is too warm here for February, it won't help us survive the hottest months. Love your new make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh! I love this! Guess what I just ordered :) Thank you for sharing your beautiful pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woolfolk?? Debby, your knitting life will never be the same! Xo

      Delete
  17. Thanks, for the pattern and the enabling. My yarn arrived this week, I'm going to start the wrap this weekend.

    ReplyDelete